Leadership Roles

Post for anything in the forums that dosn't belong anywhere else. Not the place for spam.
BMF

Leadership Roles

Post by BMF »

Because leadership is the most important part of any relationship, I have been reading a lot about it. I was a business manager for years. Its really hard to keep perspective. And this is one area that I think the last Clan that I was in really frustrated me the most. Here is a basic guideline, just some reading for all of us. Its good to refresh our leadership roles, in work, in play, and in life.

Good Leadership
In order to produce the absolute best products and services in the marketplace, all employees must treat their work and their customers with great respect and care. It follows then that good leadership requires treating employees with great respect and care; the better the respect and caring, the better the outcome. Remember this is a Natural Law (inexorible), treat employees as if they are very important and valuable and you will cause them to feel and become this way and they will treat their work, customers, peers and management this way. They will follow your lead. What then characterizes good leadership?

Listening to your employees including subordinate managers/bosses — addressing their complaints, suggestions, concerns, and personal issues at work.
Coaching people when necessary to raise them to a higher standard.
Allowing everyone to put in their two cents.
Trusting them to do the work.
Not giving orders or setting visions, goals and objectives, but instead soliciting this from them so that everyone is fully involved in how the company will be successful.
Providing direction when needed to ensure that everyone is on the same page (the one they devised). A good leader communicates the vision that was set by all. If it is a vision of little interest, then another one must be found.
Every person wants to be heard and respected. Everyone has something to contribute. Listening and responding respectfully makes it worthwhile for employees to apply 100% of their brainpower on their work thus unleashing their full potential of creativity, innovation and productivity and making them highly motivated, committed and productive. All of this gives them very high morale, enables them to take great pride in their work and then they will literally love to come to work. Good leadership multiplies whatever creativity, innovation and productivity top management has by however many employees they have.

What does that mean for bad leadership?

Bad Leadership
Bad leadership is characterized by attempting to control employees through orders, policies, rules, goals, targets, reports, visions, bureaucracy, and changes all designed to almost force employees to work and to create and deliver what management considers to be satisfactory products and services. In this mode, management on its own decides what to do, when to do it, and how to do it and listens only perfunctorily, if they listen at all, to what employees have to say.

What characterizes bad leadership?

Dishing out orders, policies, rules, goals, targets, reports, visions and changes to force employees to work the way management believes it should be done.
Failing to listen or only perfunctorily listening to complaints and suggestions.
Trying to motivate employees.
Exhibiting the “Do as I say, not as I do” mentality
Providing inadequate support
Withholding information
Treating employees as if they don’t want to do a better job, don’t care about their work, don’t want to accept responsibility, or don’t really want to work.
Treating them as if they are lucky to have a job
Being afraid to discipline and never disciplining anyone
Staying in your office or in meetings at your level or above
Us versus them mentality—“Why aren’t they performing better?”— “What’s wrong with that person? Why don’t they know their job? They should know their job.”
These actions or inactions are bad because they lead employees to believe that management disrespects them and does not care a whit for them. It also puts employees in the state of having to guess what management wants and management must be right about everything because no one else is allowed to make decisions. Bad leadership shuts off the natural creativity, innovation, and productivity of each employee and slowly but surely demotivates and demoralizes them. With the “I know better than you” and the “be quiet and listen to me” mentality often projected from management, the majority will act like robots waiting for instructions, even if that is not what management intended.

Most bad leadership is the result of a top-down, command and control style of management, where the employee is rarely if ever listened to. This style is prevelant in the workplace and ignores every employee's basic need to be heard and to be respected. It also results in a knowledge barrier and top management becoming ignorant of what is really going on in the workplace and the marketplace, which in turn makes their directives misguided at best and irrelevant at worst.
A§H»Crash
ASH General
ASH General

Re: Leadership Roles

Post by A§H»Crash »

Awesome post BMF. I couldn't agree enough :)

I think with hard work and dedication, nothing can go wrong. You know?
Crash, of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Founder of the Armored Saints of Halo.
Panther, Gator, and member of the Tribe.
RATNER

Post by RATNER »

People are the most important tools to any group or company and learders are people to.
SÕNOR

Post by SÕNOR »

BMF you are a great asset to our new clan. :)
The A§H Clan Often Imitated Never Duplicated
I Accept Rachel's Challenge
Spiron

Post by Spiron »

ASH~SÕNOR wrote:BMF you are a great asset to our new clan. :)
What him said!

P.S awesome post!

A§H»Derth
A§H Reserve
A§H Reserve

Post by A§H»Derth »

Here here :!:
"two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will get you back on the freeway"