Back that thang up!

Enter your questions, tips and tricks about software, hardware, electronics, etc. Help and be helped.
TheKing

Back that thang up!

Post by TheKing »

Here's a question I seem to have issues with:

What's the best and most efficient program you use to backup your system? I recently reinstalled my OS, games, etc. and would really like to back it up now AND set it up to backup once every ??? days.

It's such a PIA when the updates start downloading/installing......

Ideas?
Echo

Re: Back that thang up!

Post by Echo »

King
I typically use Windows built-in backup routine. One a newly installed system, I create:

1. A system repair disc

2. A system image (same as a snapshot) so I can get back to a fresh installation if needed

3. Schedule the backup and what files to backup (usually my own files since step 2 copies the Windows folders).

To perform a quicker backup, you could use Windows robocopy utility (run from an elevated command prompt (see Elevated Command Prompt:

Robocopy "C:\Users\Owner" "I:\TheBackup" /MIR /XA:SH /XD AppData /XJD /R:5 /W:15 /MT:32 /V /NP /LOG:Backup.log

---NOTE DON'T remove the quotes, they are necessary to pass the arguments to robocopy.

Make sure that it is all on ONE line. This will run for a while especially if you have a lot of Music and/or pics in your folders. There is no progress bar but it DOES run, just give it time. "I:\TheBackup is the folder and drive name on your backup drive (mine is external).

--NOTE2 The username needs to be changed to match your own:

Robocopy "C:\Users\Owner" change to Robocopy "C:\Users\<your username>"
For I am shadows and will follow you
One and the same are we - Metallica
TheKing

Post by TheKing »

Thanks, Echo - trying it now!

I've used this before, just didn't understand how to set it up, where to put the backup, etc.

fingers crossed!
Echo

Post by Echo »

Found this one today:

fbackup

Description:
FBackup is a free backup software for both personal and commercial use. It protects your important data by backing it up automatically to any USB/Firewire device, local or network location. The backed up data can be either compressed (using standard zip compression) or an exact copy of the original files.
To keep files in sync, I found this one:

freefilesync

Description:
FreeFileSync helps you synchronize files and synchronize folders being a completely free Open Source software. Its design is focused on user productivity and runtime performance to help get your work done quickly without getting in the way.
For I am shadows and will follow you
One and the same are we - Metallica
TheKing

Post by TheKing »

Thanks for the additional info, Echo!

I got the backup done and on a weekly schedule, so I should be good to go!