Time for a new PC.

Enter your questions, tips and tricks about software, hardware, electronics, etc. Help and be helped.
«CE»Fuyuri
ASH Ally
ASH Ally

Re: Time for a new PC.

Post by «CE»Fuyuri »

It's a combination between an SSD and a hard drive. The SSD being a cache basically.

Other than that sounds good.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Made a few changes to reduce the cost and fixed an issue or two.

Intel Core i5 4430 ($209)
Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H ($143)
DRW-24D3ST - ASUS DVD DRIVER BLACK RETAIL ($16)
Cooler Master Elite 430 ($51)
Thermaltake Litepower 600W ($65)
Western Digital WD Green 1TB, WD10EZRX WD Green, SATA III, IntelliPower, 64MB ($72)
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Vengeance - Cerulean Blue (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B) ($77)
XFX RADEON HD 7870 Core Edition (FX-787A-CNFC) ($199)
TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless PCI Express Adapter ($13)
1x Fractal Silent Series 120mm ($12)

Total: $857
Elbarto

Post by Elbarto »

If you are going to buy a new pc cooler somewhen you probably will have problems with the high profile ram. Those heatspreader or how you call it are just too high to fit below a good cpu cooler these day. I have a low profile ram like the kingston value ram and i never heard of overheating ram.^^
Same with the extra fans for the case. I only got three build in: cpu cooler, graphics cooler and psu fan and my pc is far away from overheating. I would try this set up without any extra fan for a while and look at the temperatures. If you think your pc really needs some cooling you can buy those fans later too.

.: Beer Drinker & Hell Raiser :.

Travis

Post by Travis »

Okay, thanks Barto. ;)
«CE»Fuyuri
ASH Ally
ASH Ally

Post by «CE»Fuyuri »

A§H»Elbarto wrote:If you are going to buy a new pc cooler somewhen you probably will have problems with the high profile ram. Those heatspreader or how you call it are just too high to fit below a good cpu cooler these day. I have a low profile ram like the kingston value ram and i never heard of overheating ram.^^
Same with the extra fans for the case. I only got three build in: cpu cooler, graphics cooler and psu fan and my pc is far away from overheating. I would try this set up without any extra fan for a while and look at the temperatures. If you think your pc really needs some cooling you can buy those fans later too.
Actually, Haswell has the capability now of changing clock speed without altering the clock speed of other parts of the system, so that won't be a problem.
«DG»Suika

Post by «DG»Suika »

«CE»Fuyuri wrote:Yes, the Xbox one and the PS4 will be using an AMD processor, but you also have to consider the entire machine and OS is designed from the bottom up to be a gaming system.
I don't see how that at all changes real world benchmarks and what tech professionals say. Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3, both having newer engines, probably going to be used on the new consoles, have better benchmarks on the FX than the i5-3570k.
«CE»Fuyuri wrote:I'm not dodging it, but you are comparing 8 cores to 4. 8 very bottlenecked cores, at that. Per core performance in the lower end i5s is better than the high end AMD CPUs, go figure.
That last part is what I admitted to. I'm not going to deny what's obviously there, but multithreaded benchmarks always favor the FX-8350. It turns out those extremely bottlenecked cores bring some significant power to a relatively cheap processor. Almost on par with an i7-2600k in fact, which is still significantly more expensive.

http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/Int ... -4430.html

I just noticed that the FX-8350 still outperforms the i5-4670k in multithreading, and the i5 is $60 more expensive xD

Single core thread, which is the second time I've mentioned, is in favor of the i5s. I'm not denying that, nor have I ever done so. I'm only saying the FX has better mutlithreading performance which will show in the new gen of games.
«CE»Fuyuri wrote:Combined, the fx 8350 barely does better than the 4430, at a huge power draw.
20% isn't barely when both processors are the same price, and Haswell is only 5-15% better on average. The FX's TDP is only 125w, the i5-4430's is 84 (only 4 watts less than Ivy Bridge mind you). As I said, you would have to game (run the CPU under load) for a thousand hours a year for three years for the power draw to cost $30 more than what the i5 series would offer. I don't even game for one hour a day, and Spec is looking into light gaming.

If power consumption is truly an issue, then why the hell are you using dedicated graphics instead of the integrated one? I have an FX-8350 and HD 7870, and I'm told the FX is bad for the high TDP. The same people saying it's bad for the TDP are using SLI'd 680s. Ridiculous. Just a little.
«CE»Fuyuri wrote:PCs have a lot more going on than that, and a lot more variables.
The Xbox One is said to have something like three individual operating systems on an 8 core @1.6GHz CPU. I'm pretty sure the FX can handle just one and game.
Get busy living.
A§H»Kü§h
A§H Reserve
A§H Reserve

Post by A§H»Kü§h »

i went here and built my own and had them make and ship it. got just what i wanted and no hassles, and i really didn't want to deal with installing a water cooling system to be honest.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/landingpage ... 7Aod2CkA7Q
Travis

Post by Travis »

Kü§h, that's bloody expensive though. ;)

@Suika: I'm almost leaning back towards the 8350 for two reason:

1). The price.
2). It'll be my first time building, if I break a $60 Motherboard, I'll swear. If I break a $143 1150 Motherboard, I'll scream.

@Fuyuri: I understand that Intel is new technology. But I'm yet to see any reasons to pay more. The 8350 bundled with a 7870 will run PS2 and games like that without issue. I'll be buying the parts this Saturday, I'll have made a final decision by then.

Thanks folks :)

E: The 8350 is out of stock.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Fuyuri, any difference in performance between these:

Haswell

Intel Core i5 4430 ($209)
Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H ($143)
Thermaltake Litepower 700W ($72)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB ($67)
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Vengeance - Cerulean Blue (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B) ($77)
Gigabyte RADEON HD 7870 OC 2GB ($249)
TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless PCI Express Adapter ($13)

$897

Ivy Bridge

Intel CPU Core i5 3470 Ivy Bridge ($220)
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Intel Mainboard ($65)
Thermaltake Litepower 700W ($72)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB ($67)
Gigabyte RADEON HD 7870 OC 2GB ($249)

$817
«DG»Suika

Post by «DG»Suika »

Performance favors the 3470, but it's insignificant for the $20. You may as well buy a 3570k if you're OK with going up to $900. Currently, no games bottleneck under the i5-3570k, so you may as well.

Also, to cut on the price a little, here are two other options for the video card.

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/787 ... ml?sort=3a

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/n66 ... ml?sort=3a

The XFX is still a decent card. The GTX 660 is also on par with the 7870 if you'd favor Gigabyte, the only real difference is that the 7870 comes with four games, while the 660 only comes with Metro: Last Light.

Oh, and the CUDA cores, if you plan on editing.
Get busy living.