SSD vs HDD

Enter your questions, tips and tricks about software, hardware, electronics, etc. Help and be helped.
A§H»Stealth
ASH General
ASH General

Re: SSD vs HDD

Post by A§H»Stealth »

E2: I've talked to the technician that I'm friends with at the Uni. He told me that a SSD doesn't increase overall performance noticeably, only boot times for the computer and programs. He said that the lives of SSD's and HDD's are about the same, and that for my purposes, he couldn't see justifying an upgrade, especially a factory upgrade.

Lastly, he said that I could put the money from the upgrade towards a custom build, if I wanted to. I'll already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers, so building a tower would be just about the last thing I'd need. I'll lay down the cash for the tuition and everything else first, and go from there.

TL;DR, I've settled on the free 750 GB HDD. It's free and faster than what I'm used to.

Thank you guys for all of your help. I can't believe how quickly and readily you answered all of my many questions. Bloody awesome clan and group of people you got here.

Stealth
Personal High Score:
Special thanks to the gang of usuals and the new Server 8: 2200 2 February 2014
Testing the new server 1 with Shimmer, Jordan, BoPeep, and Crash: 2245 26 May 2015