Why AMD Is Inferior:

Enter your questions, tips and tricks about software, hardware, electronics, etc. Help and be helped.
Travis

Why AMD Is Inferior:

Post by Travis »

Okay, something I actually know a bit about. (YAY!)

Intel is by far the best CPU manufacturer. Many people have jumped onto Intel products as people have done with AMD, I was nearly one of them, however after hours of research I came to the conclusion that Intel is far better than AMD; for a number of reasons. Let me say this firstly, if you're gaming then either Intel or AMD will be perfectly suitable; even if you're playing games like Crysis 3 which is a multi-thread application. Being multi-thread you'd expect AMD's 8 Core FX Series (for multi-thread) to dominate, however with Intel's New Generation CPUs it's no longer the case.

My knowledge with computers moves towards servers and their hardware more so that your common desktop PC, any how, I'll put out five reasons that will hopefully show all AMD Fanboys why their products are sub-par and they should stick to making GPUs.

Note: Comparisons are between the AMD FX-8350 and the Intel i7 4770K (high end CPUs)

1). Single Thread Applications: Intel has always prided themselves on performing brilliantly for almost everything, most things utilize only one thread at a time. AMD has focused primarily towards the gaming crowd with the FX-8350 whilst Intel has attempted to appeal to a wide range of people, from graphic designers right through to gamers (which is great for most of us). Amazingly, the i7 4770K outperforms the FX-8350 by a whopping 58% in single thread applications.

2). Multi-Thread Applications: Seeing as how Intel outperforms AMD's big boy processor in single thread applications, you'd expect AMD to gain some ground when it comes to multi-thread applications, wrong. Intel still perform significantly better here than AMD does, by 18%. Remember, the FX-8350 has 8 Cores compared to the i7 4770K's 4 Cores.

3). Integrated GPU: Despite AMD making the best brilliant GPUs on the market today, the FX-8350 lacks an integrated GPU. Yes, the i7 4770K has one, a damn good one at that. The FX-8350 sells for roughly $200US Dollars compared to the i7 4770K's huge price tag of $320US Dollars. But, Intel's integrated GPU is no slouch, to match the performance of it, an FX-8350 user would have to spend about $100US Dollars, which makes the price-gap insignificant. So AMD users cannot say they're cheaper, therefore better.

4). Future Proof: Intel's newest generation CPUs are future proof compared with the outdated AMD architecture. AMD haven't improved since Phenom, they're simply squeezing everything they can out of outdated architecture. Naive consumers see the higher clock speed and low price tag as a massive incentive (and it is) but the GPU issue and new generation architecture would sway me.

5). Power Draw: Intel has infamously drawn significantly less power than equivalent the AMD Processors. The FX-8350 is AMD's Big Boy processor which is designed for serious gamers or to a degree, those who are rendering, etc whilst the i7 4770K is Intel's equivilant. Despite the fact the i7 4770K is Hyper-Threaded (gets the most out of every CPU Core), has a built in GPU and outperforms the FX-8350 in single and multi-thread applications. It draws roughly 40% of the power (general usage not under load) the FX-8350 does.

/rant

Cheers,

Travis
A§H»Asi
ASH General
ASH General

Re: Why AMD Is Inferior:

Post by A§H»Asi »

4770k is a new generation Intel Haswell processor, of course it does better than the 8350.

I'd still rather get the 8350 because of the price and the fact that it'll still work very well with games.
Asi | Greg
Travis

Post by Travis »

≡DG≡Asi wrote:4770k is a new generation Intel Haswell processor, of course it does better than the 8350.

I'd still rather get the 8350 because of the price and the fact that it'll still work very well with games.
It's only 6 months newer. The 4770K has half the cores and a lower clock speed. Read what I said about the GPU ;). In all honesty, I just picked the two flagships, I could've gone with an i5 Haswell if I wanted to and it would still out-do the FX-8350.
A§H»Asi
ASH General
ASH General

Post by A§H»Asi »

Six months is a long time for computers.

:\
Asi | Greg
Travis

Post by Travis »

I could compare the newest AMD Processors and I would get the exact same result.
«DG»Suika

Post by «DG»Suika »

I expected nothing less, to be honest.
A§H»Spec wrote:1). Single Thread Applications: Intel has always prided themselves on performing brilliantly for almost everything, most things utilize only one thread at a time. AMD has focused primarily towards the gaming crowd with the FX-8350 whilst Intel has attempted to appeal to a wide range of people, from graphic designers right through to gamers (which is great for most of us). Amazingly, the i7 4770K outperforms the FX-8350 by a whopping 58% in single thread applications.
you_dont_say.jpg

Yea, almost every Intel Core i3/i5/i7 CPU offers better performance per core than the FX-8350 does. The 8350 has more cores, that's it. Not only, but you're comparing an i7 to an FX-8350. Yea, almost every i7, even the 2600k, is better than the FX-8350. Issue is, they're all more expensive, and for a reason.
A§H»Spec wrote:2). Multi-Thread Applications: Seeing as how Intel outperforms AMD's big boy processor in single thread applications, you'd expect AMD to gain some ground when it comes to multi-thread applications, wrong. Intel still perform significantly better here than AMD does, by 18%. Remember, the FX-8350 has 8 Cores compared to the i7 4770K's 4 Cores.
Again, you're comparing an i7-4770k to the FX-8350. If you want to compare Intel to AMD in this race, get a $200 Intel CPU.

I believe the FX-8350 is still about 1% faster in multithreading applications as compared to the more expensive i5-4670k. Intel is catching up, yes, but not enough. Their prices are still higher and they're not beating AMD in every turn like you'd expect them to.
A§H»Spec wrote:3). Integrated GPU: Despite AMD making the best brilliant GPUs on the market today, the FX-8350 lacks an integrated GPU. Yes, the i7 4770K has one, a damn good one at that. The FX-8350 sells for roughly $200US Dollars compared to the i7 4770K's huge price tag of $320US Dollars. But, Intel's integrated GPU is no slouch, to match the performance of it, an FX-8350 user would have to spend about $100US Dollars, which makes the price-gap insignificant. So AMD users cannot say they're cheaper, therefore better.
If you have an i7-4770k and play games without a dedicated GPU, you're retarded. It's as simple as that. If you have an i7-4770k without a dedicated GPU, you're still retarded.

Intel's integrated graphics are still as worthless as they were before because you have no real reason to use them. Unless you're getting a cheap APU build or don't plan on doing any sort of editing, 3D rendering, gaming, or anything of the like (all of which are why you'd buy a $200+ CPU), I don't see why you would want integrated graphics. Just, it's out of the question.
A§H»Spec wrote:4). Future Proof: Intel's newest generation CPUs are future proof compared with the outdated AMD architecture. AMD haven't improved since Phenom, they're simply squeezing everything they can out of outdated architecture. Naive consumers see the higher clock speed and low price tag as a massive incentive (and it is) but the GPU issue and new generation architecture would sway me.
Uhhh... I think I know this one... is it because... Haswell and LGA1150 motherboards were JUST released about a month or so ago? If you bought an i5-3570k, you were told not to because the FX-8350 and AM3+ socket is future proof. It's a retarded argument, because it's about who released what first and when the next thing is coming out. It has nothing to do with the actual argument of which is better.

Personally though, I'd buy a new motherboard if I bought a new CPU.
A§H»Spec wrote:5). Power Draw: Intel has infamously drawn significantly less power than equivalent the AMD Processors. The FX-8350 is AMD's Big Boy processor which is designed for serious gamers or to a degree, those who are rendering, etc whilst the i7 4770K is Intel's equivilant. Despite the fact the i7 4770K is Hyper-Threaded (gets the most out of every CPU Core), has a built in GPU and outperforms the FX-8350 in single and multi-thread applications. It draws roughly 40% of the power (general usage not under load) the FX-8350 does.
It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that more cores = more power draw.

Actually numbers aren't favorable for any processor, though. The price of power difference is so small and insignificant that you'd have to play over 1,000 hours of games a year to see a real difference. I don't even play that. The power draw difference from Haswell to Ivy is 4 watts, it's pennies to the dime cheaper. If you want to consume less power, then turn off your PC every now and again.

The next time somebody seriously compares an i7-3770k/4770k to an FX-8350 or the latter will get my fist in their face. You do not buy a $320 CPU to be outperformed by a $180-200 CPU. These processors are in different price groups for a reason.

If you have no budget, get Haswell. I would too, I'd fucking LOVE an i7-4770k. Intel is obviously better in overall power and they will likely always have that (though there was a time AMD was the best). Problem is, I'm a minimum wage student. I can't afford an i7-4770k, so one of the next best things would be an FX-8350, the budget CPU with a lot kick for the price. AMD will always have budget parts for cheaper gamers or PC enthusiasts. I have had absolutely no issues with my FX-8350. My power bill didn't sky rocket like you said it would(or even show a notable difference), it's not bottlenecking the GPU in single threaded games like you said it would, no program crashes due to a lack of resources like you said it would, and I haven't felt like I needed a more powerful CPU like you said I would.

Come back when an i7 CPU drops to $200.
Get busy living.
Travis

Post by Travis »

"My power bill didn't sky rocket like you said it would(or even show a notable difference), it's not bottlenecking the GPU in single threaded games like you said it would, no program crashes due to a lack of resources like you said it would, and I haven't felt like I needed a more powerful CPU like you said I would."

I didn't say it would. And in all honesty, if I could only spend $800 I'd go for the 8350, it's brilliant. There was another point to this topic, I needed to improve a writing style.
A§H»WillRok

Post by A§H»WillRok »

"Despite AMD making the best brilliant GPUs on the market today"

nVida GTX Titan > every other graphics card made
Impulse: JAMIE
°jamie: HELLO
Impulse: wait
Impulse: is this jamie
Impulse: or is it her brother
°jamie: this time its me
°jamie: he plays rocket league
°jamie: on my account
°jamie: lol
Impulse: but how do i know
°jamie: usually i tell him to go offline tho
°jamie: >_>
Impulse: say something only jamie would know
°jamie: because i'm jamie
°jamie: and i'm not mean
°jamie: and we played portal 2 together
°jamie: once
°jamie: :D
Impulse: LOL
Impulse: yep
Impulse: you're jamie
Travis

Post by Travis »

You spelt nVidia wrong.
«DG»Suika

Post by «DG»Suika »

A§H»Spec wrote:I didn't say it would. And in all honesty, if I could only spend $800 I'd go for the 8350, it's brilliant. There was another point to this topic, I needed to improve a writing style.
This entire thread is why Intel is overall better and why you should never buy AMD for any reason because Intel is always better. That is this thread, that is everything you implied here.
A§H»WillRok wrote:"Despite AMD making the best brilliant GPUs on the market today"

nVida GTX Titan > every other graphics card made
Get busy living.