Coding help

Enter your questions, tips and tricks about software, hardware, electronics, etc. Help and be helped.
A§H»BRAVO
A§H Reserve
A§H Reserve

Coding help

Post by A§H»BRAVO »

Hey I was just wondering if anyone was interested in coding with me i'm a noob at it soo yeah need help were trying to code a first person shooter and yeah this clan is full of geniuses so i thought I might be able to get help... x-fire me if you are interested oh and all the people who helped will have all the credit they deserve if this game does launch :P the people who I am working with have already come up with guns and how we want the story line but were open up to ideas and need it to be there will be no pay until we get this launched on steam or something but yeah to keep it short x-fire me and i'll tell you everything :pc: Sorry for any misspells oh yeah we also need good software to use :P
A§H»Nushi
A§H Reserve
A§H Reserve

Re: Coding help

Post by A§H»Nushi »

Hi there, Bravo:

If you are interested in game programming, you may want to consider learning the basic platform first. Even if you have no ambition of learning to code this completely, it's imperative that you understand the basis of Object-Oriented coding.

You may want to start with downloading this:
Visual C# - the actual IDE (Development Environment)
Go to Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop, sign in/up, and download:
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/e ... 13-express

XNA - Gaming Framework, cohesive with Visual C#:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=23714

It's called XNA, and it's free from Microsoft. It's the basic platform/library you're going to need to make some simple games to start, before attacking some larger obstacles.

Here is a good resource to start, to help understand the learning process:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb203894.aspx

Also, once you're a little more familiar with this, you're going to need to either snag from models, or learn to make your own. In that case, I would strongly suggest downloading this:
http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

Blender is a free and open-source CGI/CGA Modeling/Animation environment. It's extremely powerful and has many tutorials out there to learn.

Remember the most important thing to object-oriented programming, let alone adapting gaming into it; this takes a lot of time, I mean, a lot of time. Once you dedicate yourself to this, only focus on it, otherwise, there is no point.

I don't have the time for this right now, but I do have the time to help those/you along the way. If you need more resources, or are in need of further guidance, don't hesitate to ask. I have a Bachelor's in Computer Information Systems, focusing on IT Project Management, as well as, Information Security.

Good luck.

Regards,

Tim (Nushi)
A§H»rUnRiÕt

Post by A§H»rUnRiÕt »

Nushi has provided some very good starting points for you, but I just wanted to say that creating a game and getting it published on steam or any other service in general is not a simple process. You have to be prepared to spend many hours coding, and not all of it will be fun. Other than that, good luck on your endeavors and I hope you're successful at whatever you try and make.
Bot Catches: 7
A§H»BRAVO
A§H Reserve
A§H Reserve

Post by A§H»BRAVO »

Yeah i know this and thank you guys for the help and resources but if you would like to work with me in this coding stuff it would be great :D
Bravo :D !!!
A§H»Stealth
ASH General
ASH General

Post by A§H»Stealth »

I have minimal game coding experience. However, I want to suggest another method you might keep as a thought instead of publishing the game on steam.

There exists a 3D engine called Unity that is used for browser-based FPS games. It is also free. You won't get anything for publishing the game on a well-known site (such as Kongregate), but in-game real cash purchases can add up. If you want an example of how this works when it's highly successful, check out Contract Wars on Kongregate. (Aside: one of my favorite games)

kongregate.com/games/tfender/contract-wars

You have to use real money to buy gold, which can then be used to purchase new items, acquire new skills, or gain early access to new sets. From all of the players they have, I'm sure they're making a killing.

Just something to keep in mind.
Stealth
Personal High Score:
Special thanks to the gang of usuals and the new Server 8: 2200 2 February 2014
Testing the new server 1 with Shimmer, Jordan, BoPeep, and Crash: 2245 26 May 2015
A§H»BRAVO
A§H Reserve
A§H Reserve

Post by A§H»BRAVO »

Nice i'll be sure to check that out and yeah that is a good idea umm but no one wants to join in? :?:
A§H»rUnRiÕt

Post by A§H»rUnRiÕt »

Bravo it sounds like you expect someone to come in and do the coding work for you. Just saying, it won't be that easy, and you can't just tell someone how you want the gameplay/storyline to go, you need to contribute yourself.
Bot Catches: 7
A§H»Stealth
ASH General
ASH General

Post by A§H»Stealth »

I'll be glad to do whatever I can to help you. But like I said, I have little to no game coding experience, so I'm probably only good to you as a beta tester or marketer.

The only other thing I can think of is that you can get in touch with me about examples of games that use the unity engine; so you could see what it is capable of or try to contact the developers to get feedback about starting a project like this.
Personal High Score:
Special thanks to the gang of usuals and the new Server 8: 2200 2 February 2014
Testing the new server 1 with Shimmer, Jordan, BoPeep, and Crash: 2245 26 May 2015
A§H»BRAVO
A§H Reserve
A§H Reserve

Post by A§H»BRAVO »

Alright stealth sounds great you will get full cred and pay and also rUnRiÕt i'm not going to just tell somone the story line im going to help I have been trying to learn that help that you sent me so yeah im not the bossy type either but i'm just saying I have a story ready and im willing to have you guys change it a bit :D oh and stealth X-fire me! and Im still looking for help!! :thunbsup
Bravo :D !!!