new headset

Enter your questions, tips and tricks about software, hardware, electronics, etc. Help and be helped.
A§H»JÓÒK

new headset

Post by A§H»JÓÒK »

I find myself in need of wanting a new set of headphones for teamspeak and gaming.
My current set (Razer Blackshark) is relatively heavy, corded and wearing out.
First and foremost it has to have a good microphone.
It would be cool if they were wireless but not necessary.
Any suggestions?

Edit: price cap: $100 USD
Last edited by A§H»JÓÒK on February 13th, 2014, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elbarto

Re: new headset

Post by Elbarto »

I can atleast say that wireless headsets aren't that good. I tested a few and returned them all. In the end i'm still using my old Sennheiser PC151.
Maybe the Sennheiser PC360 is something for you. Sennheiser always has an excellent microphone quality.
Its a bit expensive but since you didn't specify a price range i guess its ok. ^^
(i would buy it myself but the price...)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826106474

.: Beer Drinker & Hell Raiser :.

Marshy

Post by Marshy »

I use: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/8391

It is wireless, comfortable, and has decent quality. Not a bad price for a wireless.
A§H»Stealth
ASH General
ASH General

Post by A§H»Stealth »

As always, I have a few things to suggest that are probably of no use to you, but might be to someone else.

I found myself in the same situation a while back, but I wanted something that I could take to work on the drive in to use as a Bluetooth headset when I was driving (for fielding calls). So, I bought a Plantronics M165.
It was around $60 at the time. The thing was great because I could stream music from a Bluetooth compatible computer/tablet/phone at work without having to worry about cords or sound quality. It is stereo compatible, so the quality of music isn't bad for just a single earpiece. Plus, without cords, I didn't have to worry about lighting another set of headphones on fire with a bunsen burner.
As far as mic quality went, it's what I used when I first joined TS around here. Not great, not terrible.

Recently, I needed a new set of earbuds. I was gifted a set of Skullcandy Ink'd 2's, which I have grown to be quite fond of.
The noise cancelling capabilities of them are astonishing- I can sit right next to a 80-100 decibel alarm at work and not hear it at all. They took some time to break in, though.
They have an integrated mic on the cable. Everyone in TS said that the sound quality was better on these than the M165, but the cable sometimes gets in the way.

This final part has probably no use to you unless you're just made of cash and want to do something crazy for the heck of it.
I'm testing a microphone (like radio show kind) for work. They bought it to do voiceovers, so they have me testing it out in Skype calls and small trial voiceovers to make sure that it works like they want it to.
It's a Blue Yeti USB microphone:
The quality of sound this thing can record is awesome. People have said that it sounds like I'm right there next to them, that I should be hosting a radio show, or that I don't sound like the same person that entered Teamspeak a few minutes ago. Plus, it has a headphone jack that allows me to gain a few inches of reach with my earbud cable, or perhaps a few feet if I move the mic way away from the USB port. That jack allows you to monitor what is being said as it is said, so I can still hear the phone ring even with the noise canceling earbuds. The volume knob on the front allows you to change master volume on the headphones without having to find the volume controls on your computer, so when you're in the middle of a game, it makes it extremely easy to change how loud it is.

Work is also going to have me test a set of headphones for the mic when they come in, so stay tuned for that. But it's kind of like I got a big, bulky, non-portable headset that works extremely well for what I (and the people that are having me test it) want.

TL;DR version:
Plantronics M165
Pros:
-Wireless, Bluetooth
-Stereo quality from a single earbud
-Can be used for work/school for fielding phonecalls
-Relatively Cheap
Cons:
-Only 7 Hours battery life on a full charge (charges only take about an hour and a half, though)
-Not the best mic quality
-Probably not the best thing for gaming, since it is only a single earbud (no more pinpointing someone by footsteps)

Skullcandy Earbuds
Pros:
-Even cheaper! (like $20 total)
-Great noise-canceling
-Integrated Mic that's pretty decent
Cons:
-Earbuds, so they're corded and can be annoying
-Not amazing mic quality

Custom Audio-Professional Setup:
Pros:
-Amazing sound quality, both mic and playback
-You get to look like a professional
-Mute and volume controls easy to access during games and such
-Extra reach with your headphones
Cons:
-Pricy. This setup was around $300-$350, but they can go higher or lower.
-Bulky. The mic itself is 12" tall, takes up a considerable amount of desk space.
-Opens up your audio output jack at the expense of a USB port.

Perhaps someone will benefit from this. If not, I had some fun avoiding stuff I need to be doing to write it. With that, enjoy!
Personal High Score:
Special thanks to the gang of usuals and the new Server 8: 2200 2 February 2014
Testing the new server 1 with Shimmer, Jordan, BoPeep, and Crash: 2245 26 May 2015
A§H»JÓÒK

Post by A§H»JÓÒK »

$249.95!?! although Amazon has it for about $80 less...
Sorry, I should have specified a price limit. :lol:
I do like Sennheiser, I have a pair of PXC 250s I used when i was on college, no mic though.

Edited my inital post.
Elbarto

Post by Elbarto »

.: Beer Drinker & Hell Raiser :.