A Sad PSA

Enter your questions, tips and tricks about software, hardware, electronics, etc. Help and be helped.
A§H»Stealth
ASH General
ASH General

A Sad PSA

Post by A§H»Stealth »

I'm sure this only applies to a few of us here, but I'll still post it.

As of 8 April 2014, Microsoft is discontinuing support for Windows XP. No more patches, no more updates, no more Security Essentials. They're retiring XP (IMO, the best Windows operating system) after 13 years.

This doesn't really mean anything for us consumers, except the cessation of automatic updates and the increased likelihood of viruses popping up that exploit unpatched holes. Still though, it's sad to see this after dealing with XP for most of my life.

Here's a link to Microsoft's page about what you need to do if you want to read about the issue or what they say you need to do:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... pport-help
Personal High Score:
Special thanks to the gang of usuals and the new Server 8: 2200 2 February 2014
Testing the new server 1 with Shimmer, Jordan, BoPeep, and Crash: 2245 26 May 2015
A§H»rUnRiÕt

Re: A Sad PSA

Post by A§H»rUnRiÕt »

Yup, I remember when I delivered this news myself 3 years ago. Looks like they will be adding annoying popups in an update to get people to upgrade their OS...
Bot Catches: 7
Mandalor

Post by Mandalor »

I was trying toget Microsoft to aid me with an XP computer an they kept telling me in a couple of months they wouldn't have support for it. Then again XP is kinda dead. Looks like half the school computers with XP are in for a suprise :sick:
-Mandalor
97 Aimbot Catches | 35 ESP Catches

Steam: The Deer Hunter | Evolve: theniteowl | Raptr: theniteowl | Origin: 90sguy
ImageImage
Resigned - 29 September, 2015
Colonel - 7 March, 2015
Saint of the Month - 3 March, 2015
Major - 10 January, 2015
Captain - 9 June, 2014
Lieutenant - 22 November, 2013
Saint of the Month - 18 July, 2013
Sergeant -12 July, 2013
Corporal - 8 June, 2013
Private - 9 May, 2013
Applicant - 9 May, 2013
A§H»Stealth
ASH General
ASH General

Post by A§H»Stealth »

It may be old, but it's far from dead. It's estimated that between 80-95% of all American ATM's are running Windows XP. That's why everyone is freaking out. Any small little unpatched bug could become a source of a huge cyberattack swipe a lot of cash.
Personal High Score:
Special thanks to the gang of usuals and the new Server 8: 2200 2 February 2014
Testing the new server 1 with Shimmer, Jordan, BoPeep, and Crash: 2245 26 May 2015
A§H»JÓÒK

Post by A§H»JÓÒK »

This isn't the first time they've announced an End-of-Life for XP.
I have my doubts it will actually happen any time soon.
A§H»Stealth wrote:It may be old, but it's far from dead. It's estimated that between 80-95% of all American ATM's are running Windows XP. That's why everyone is freaking out. Any small little unpatched bug could become a source of a huge cyberattack swipe a lot of cash.
I wouldn't be freaking out about them just running XP, i'd be freaking out about them running Windows. :pc:
But get ready for pundits to start with the histrionics about the apocolypse of the inter-webs. :lol:
Knuckle draggers with access to the masses are what usually prevent progress. :realmad:
=DG=£ñzó
ASH Ally
ASH Ally

Post by =DG=£ñzó »

Very sad to see xp go. Even tho i got 7 and ubuntu i still make xp my home os.
B³][osmo final part 2 of 2
[/color]