How to output internet usage?

Enter your questions, tips and tricks about software, hardware, electronics, etc. Help and be helped.
Mandalor

How to output internet usage?

Post by Mandalor »

Is there a way to allocate your internet speed so that you receive a certain amount?

Here's my situation. I have two computers in the house. One of the computers are constantly uploading things to the internet, using up all the internet in the house it seems. When I try to play halo it is constantly lagging with a high ping. Is there a way to lower the upload on that computer so I won't lag in halo? Every time I search this up on the internet all I see is gibberish mostly cuz I'm not that tech savy >.>

Solutions or ideas are greatly appreciated as always. You might have to run things down for me a bit.
-Mandalor
97 Aimbot Catches | 35 ESP Catches

Steam: The Deer Hunter | Evolve: theniteowl | Raptr: theniteowl | Origin: 90sguy
ImageImage
Resigned - 29 September, 2015
Colonel - 7 March, 2015
Saint of the Month - 3 March, 2015
Major - 10 January, 2015
Captain - 9 June, 2014
Lieutenant - 22 November, 2013
Saint of the Month - 18 July, 2013
Sergeant -12 July, 2013
Corporal - 8 June, 2013
Private - 9 May, 2013
Applicant - 9 May, 2013
=DG=£ñzó
ASH Ally
ASH Ally

Re: How to output internet usage?

Post by =DG=£ñzó »

Yes. It is called QOS it is a programmable feature in your router.
B³][osmo final part 2 of 2
[/color]
=CE=Durelle
ASH Ally
ASH Ally

Post by =CE=Durelle »

QOS would be yoru only option, but not all Routers support this
=DG=£ñzó
ASH Ally
ASH Ally

Post by =DG=£ñzó »

Correct. If you can tell me or post here the make and model of your router i can help you set it up if it will work. :) ;)
[/color]
A§H»WillRok

Post by A§H»WillRok »

QoS is crap to begin with, even on routers in the $200+ price range. I also know for a fact that QoS won't work in this situation because of how slow mandalors internet is (because mine is pretty much the same).

I've also looked into this problem because my family can't use the internet without loading videos every other second. There are a few things that you can do to limit network usage on a machine but they may not be that easy to do. Several months ago I found a program called net limiter (I think that's what it was called) that I put on my parents pc. With it I could limit the bandwidth of a specific program or just limit the entire machine itself. The program works really well but you have to pay for it after your 30 day trial period is up. In addition to the fact that its not free, there's also a bug that does something to your computer when you uninstall the program. I decided that since the program worked so well I would put it on all 4 computers in my house and install a crack for it rather than pay $80 for the licences. After uninstalling it from my parents computer I tried reinstalling it but there was some sort of error and it wouldn't let me install it no matter what I tried.

In short, yes you can limit the bandwidth that computers can use on your network, but you will need access to the computer and you will need a program to do it with (which you will have to pay for unless your willing to try cracking it).

And again, QoS won't work, especially in this case. In fact, using QoS in this case will make you lag a lot more and it might make online gameplay unplayable alltogether.
Impulse: JAMIE
°jamie: HELLO
Impulse: wait
Impulse: is this jamie
Impulse: or is it her brother
°jamie: this time its me
°jamie: he plays rocket league
°jamie: on my account
°jamie: lol
Impulse: but how do i know
°jamie: usually i tell him to go offline tho
°jamie: >_>
Impulse: say something only jamie would know
°jamie: because i'm jamie
°jamie: and i'm not mean
°jamie: and we played portal 2 together
°jamie: once
°jamie: :D
Impulse: LOL
Impulse: yep
Impulse: you're jamie
VOX

Post by VOX »

A§H»Mandalor wrote:Is there a way to allocate your internet speed so that you receive a certain amount?

Here's my situation. I have two computers in the house. One of the computers are constantly uploading things to the internet, using up all the internet in the house it seems. When I try to play halo it is constantly lagging with a high ping. Is there a way to lower the upload on that computer so I won't lag in halo? Every time I search this up on the internet all I see is gibberish mostly cuz I'm not that tech savy >.>

Solutions or ideas are greatly appreciated as always. You might have to run things down for me a bit.
-Mandalor

Why is that pc constantly uploading??
If someone else in your house is uploading tons of stuff just ask them to keep it down a bit....
If not.......that pc might be infected with a virus or malware, try running anti virus/malware/spyware programs on it and see if that turns up anything.
See you in the Haloverse, but hey, don't run, you'll just die tired!!

Former ASH-Clan General.
Mandalor

Post by Mandalor »

A§H»VOX wrote:
A§H»Mandalor wrote:Is there a way to allocate your internet speed so that you receive a certain amount?

-Mandalor

Why is that pc constantly uploading??
If someone else in your house is uploading tons of stuff just ask them to keep it down a bit....
If not.......that pc might be infected with a virus or malware, try running anti virus/malware/spyware programs on it and see if that turns up anything.
My sister constantly uploads videos to YouTube. I have a 18mb speed of Internet. Back in the day my Internet used I be like 1.5 mbs and uploading things would take a whole day. This fast 18mb speed just sucks up all the Internet. Ima have to grab the make of the router order you Enzo. It's an AT&T standard :c
-Mandalor
97 Aimbot Catches | 35 ESP Catches

Steam: The Deer Hunter | Evolve: theniteowl | Raptr: theniteowl | Origin: 90sguy
ImageImage
Resigned - 29 September, 2015
Colonel - 7 March, 2015
Saint of the Month - 3 March, 2015
Major - 10 January, 2015
Captain - 9 June, 2014
Lieutenant - 22 November, 2013
Saint of the Month - 18 July, 2013
Sergeant -12 July, 2013
Corporal - 8 June, 2013
Private - 9 May, 2013
Applicant - 9 May, 2013
VOX

Post by VOX »

I know lots of ways to handle a "sister" problem, non of them is legal , unfortunately ;) ;)
See you in the Haloverse, but hey, don't run, you'll just die tired!!

Former ASH-Clan General.
A§H»Stealth
ASH General
ASH General

Post by A§H»Stealth »

I'm guessing that your router is the Motorola NVG510. That seems to be the Uverse standard around here.
Personal High Score:
Special thanks to the gang of usuals and the new Server 8: 2200 2 February 2014
Testing the new server 1 with Shimmer, Jordan, BoPeep, and Crash: 2245 26 May 2015
=DG=£ñzó
ASH Ally
ASH Ally

Post by =DG=£ñzó »

A§H»VOX wrote:I know lots of ways to handle a "sister" problem, non of them is legal , unfortunately ;) ;)
HAHAHAHAHA!
[/color]