What Anit-Virus programs do you use?

Enter your questions, tips and tricks about software, hardware, electronics, etc. Help and be helped.
Mandalor

What Anit-Virus programs do you use?

Post by Mandalor »

I previously used Total Defense on my Laptop but on my desktop I never used anything. I just got Avast from Jook :D ( I just read your previous post Vox :p Sorry I didn't realize your recomendation). What do you guys use?
-Mandalor
97 Aimbot Catches | 35 ESP Catches

Steam: The Deer Hunter | Evolve: theniteowl | Raptr: theniteowl | Origin: 90sguy
ImageImage
Resigned - 29 September, 2015
Colonel - 7 March, 2015
Saint of the Month - 3 March, 2015
Major - 10 January, 2015
Captain - 9 June, 2014
Lieutenant - 22 November, 2013
Saint of the Month - 18 July, 2013
Sergeant -12 July, 2013
Corporal - 8 June, 2013
Private - 9 May, 2013
Applicant - 9 May, 2013
A§H»Xoth
Captain
Captain

Re: What Anit-Virus programs do you use?

Post by A§H»Xoth »

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
ImageImage
Steam: xoth99 / Evolve: xoth / Raptr: xoth99 / Origin: xoth99
A§H»JÓÒK

Post by A§H»JÓÒK »

A§H»Mandalor wrote:I previously used Total Defense on my Laptop but on my desktop I never used anything. I just got Avast from Jook :D ( I just read your previous post Vox :p Sorry I didn't realize your recomendation). What do you guys use?
-Mandalor
To clarify...

Today for the first time, I've installed Virus detection/protection software.
It was recommended that I try ESET NOD32.
Upon telling several people that I used that (for less than an hour),
they told me to give Avast a try... it has a free version... ESET NOD32 only has a 30 trial version.

I told Mandy there was a free version of Avast and i gave him the link, as I'd already had it open
in a browser...
1mpAcT

Post by 1mpAcT »

Trend Micro, AVG, Norton, Windows Defender, those are all pretty good
A§H»Stealth
ASH General
ASH General

Post by A§H»Stealth »

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I had McAfee Stinger and Malwarebytes on my old laptop. Malwarebytes is definitely worth looking into, especially since it's free and does a great job.

I had Trend Micro on this laptop until I got so utterly annoyed with it that I uninstalled it. Perhaps it was so buggy since it was the OSX version, perhaps it was because it was meeting school specifications; either way, I destroyed all traces of it and haven't looked back.

TL;DR: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is the bomb.
Personal High Score:
Special thanks to the gang of usuals and the new Server 8: 2200 2 February 2014
Testing the new server 1 with Shimmer, Jordan, BoPeep, and Crash: 2245 26 May 2015
VØLTÅG£

Post by VØLTÅG£ »

A§H»Stealth wrote: TL;DR: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is the bomb.
^ This.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Elbarto

Post by Elbarto »

ESET Smart Security 7

.: Beer Drinker & Hell Raiser :.

A§H»Derth
A§H Reserve
A§H Reserve

Post by A§H»Derth »

I don't use anything. Haven't since my first puter in 1997. I just don't open links or attachments from someone I donT know. Even then I have to have some kind of confirmation they sent it and not a virus in their address book. I also tend to stay away from unknown web sites. But my own web site has been hacked. So for awhile there were some dangerous links. Google picked up on it and flagged my site as dangerous. So using Google search and sticking to the first few pages is fairly safe. So far I have only been hit once by a minor virus. I do scans every now and then just to check. But I don't run anti virus software in the background. It slows the computer up to much, and I need speed for processing photos.

It's brutal out there. I read someplace where the anti virus softwares only catch about 1/2 of what is out there. And remember that 98% of what arrives in your inbox is bullshit. :realmad:

Be safe and be smart.
"two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will get you back on the freeway"
A§H»Stealth
ASH General
ASH General

Post by A§H»Stealth »

Like Derth said, as long as you're careful online, you should have no problems. I've only been hit by two of them myself, and it was because I clicked the wrong link at the wrong time. Know the sites you're working with, and you'll be fine.

The two I got, I got lucky. They were only downloaders for other bugs. Malwarebytes was quick to pick up on them and take them out for good.

I'll also use this thread to reiterate: it's always good to have a backup of your OS and files. If you get a bug you just can't handle, with a backup you can just nuke the whole machine and reinstall from your backup.
Personal High Score:
Special thanks to the gang of usuals and the new Server 8: 2200 2 February 2014
Testing the new server 1 with Shimmer, Jordan, BoPeep, and Crash: 2245 26 May 2015
t4r4t3ux

Post by t4r4t3ux »

Really the most powerfull AV, for home-jobs, maybe pc.laptop etc.. is EsetSmartSecurity. No its only AV, ESS have a good firewall with a some special profiles. For example, in my opinion the best mode is "learning", the ESS, ask you for each connection outbound and indbound for first time of this. Maybe is a bit bored in the start to teach to ESS what is bad o good. But you can control really all connections in ur machine. Another thing is the heuristic system (most av have also), is great and fast for detection malware and other fun stuff.

Just talking. :hi: