Problems installiing windows on a new pc

Enter your questions, tips and tricks about software, hardware, electronics, etc. Help and be helped.
A§H»WillRok

Problems installiing windows on a new pc

Post by A§H»WillRok »

Towards the beginning of this year I bought an Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard. I finally got the money to buy other parts but when I installed windows 7 it all went downhill. I've tried several different things and I've spent hours on google looking for a solution but I can't really find anything.

Basically here's what happens: I boot from my DVD drive which has the windows 7 disk, I format/partition a brand new 250GB HDD that I just bought, I install windows 7 on there, it installs just fine but after it finishes it has to restart and finish configuring everything. When it boots back up it shows the error message Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer. This is one of three 'error' things that happen. Another one that is maybe maybe not an error. When the computer is starting up and going through all the black screens that have the random system information there's a screen called something like 'Marvell boot something or other'. On that screen it shows any HDD's that are plugged into the SATA 6GB/s ports. If I have the new 250GB HDD or my old 1TB HDD (that has win 7 on there from my previous pc) plugged into the SATA 6GB/s ports it shows as 'unconfigured' on that Marvell screen so I have no idea if that's causing the problem or not. The 250GB HDD shows as unconfigured before and after it is formatted. I also get the same error when the HDD's are plugged into the regular 3GB/s SATA ports so I know it's not the 6GB/s ports that's causing the problem(s). The third error is a BSOD. When I set the boot priority to the 250GB HDD instead of 'windows boot manger' or the DVD drive it goes as far as the Starting Windows screen and then it flashes a BSOD for half a second and then it restarts. 0x0000007B is the BSOD number which means "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".

The system specs are as follows:
Asus P8P67 Deluxe 3.0 LGA1155 INTEL P67
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4Ghz
MUSHKIN ENHANCED 998681 3x2GB XP3-12800 DDR3-1600mhz
Zalman Reserator 3 Max Liquid CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti
WL250GLSA16100 - 250GB 10k RPM HDD
500 Watt PSU

Tomorrow when I wake up if I have time I'll probably try updating the BIOS (assuming there is an updated version) and see if that changes anything. If someone can help me figure this out I'll send you $5 on paypal.

Almost forgot, in the BIOS settings one of the options is a SATA Configuration thing. There are like four different options that you can choose. Disable, IDE, AHCI, RAID. I've tried using all four options to no avail. The one that I'm pretty sure is supposed to be used is AHCI but using that has the same result as using IDE (then again it's probably something else that is causing the problem). I am planning on buying a 240GB SSD this coming Thursday so when suggesting help please bare that in mind. When I get the SSD I'll be installing windows on that and using my 1TB HDD as a programs drive. For now though I'd like to get the pc up and running using either the 1TB HDD or the 250GB HDD since I won't actually get the SSD for like two weeks cause I'll have to wait for shipping after I buy it.

Thanks in advance for any help that is given.
Impulse: JAMIE
°jamie: HELLO
Impulse: wait
Impulse: is this jamie
Impulse: or is it her brother
°jamie: this time its me
°jamie: he plays rocket league
°jamie: on my account
°jamie: lol
Impulse: but how do i know
°jamie: usually i tell him to go offline tho
°jamie: >_>
Impulse: say something only jamie would know
°jamie: because i'm jamie
°jamie: and i'm not mean
°jamie: and we played portal 2 together
°jamie: once
°jamie: :D
Impulse: LOL
Impulse: yep
Impulse: you're jamie
VOX

Re: Problems installiing windows on a new pc

Post by VOX »

Do I understand that you have both your new disk (on which you try to
install win7) AND the old one(with win7 on it) in the pc?
If so, remove the old one and try the installation again , there could be a conflict
between the disks.
See you in the Haloverse, but hey, don't run, you'll just die tired!!

Former ASH-Clan General.
A§H»WillRok

Post by A§H»WillRok »

I've tried with just the new one in, just the old one in, and with both in at the same time.
VOX

Post by VOX »

Some thing to consider:
I remember a friend having something similar but with Office, turned out he had installed it
to 5 ( or something like that, not sure) systems before (all his) and Microsoft didn't allow any more installs.Have you installed that win7 version to other systems before?

If you put that old disk into the old pc does it work? (assuming you still have that pc).
If so, put the new HD in also and see if it's recognized in that pc .

Try to enter "safe mode" while booting , if this works you know , at least , that the HD works.

Former ASH-Clan General.
VOX

Post by VOX »

Any luck??

Former ASH-Clan General.
A§H»WillRok

Post by A§H»WillRok »

A§H»VOX wrote:Some thing to consider:
I remember a friend having something similar but with Office, turned out he had installed it
to 5 ( or something like that, not sure) systems before (all his) and Microsoft didn't allow any more installs.Have you installed that win7 version to other systems before?

If you put that old disk into the old pc does it work? (assuming you still have that pc).
If so, put the new HD in also and see if it's recognized in that pc .

Try to enter "safe mode" while booting , if this works you know , at least , that the HD works.
I was able to install Windows to the 250GB HDD without problem when I put it in my parents PC so the HDD and the windows disk work fine. The option to boot in safe mode doesn't even cone up.

I'm 100% sure that its the motherboard that's causing the issues. When I install windows I get the error message when it tries to finish configuring after restarting. When I try and boot to windows with my old HDD or with the new 250GB one (after windows was installed on it using my parents PC) I get the BSOD. I googled some more and found that the BSOD in this particular case for this particular motherboard happens when windows was installed to a drive with IDE mode enabled and then you get the BSOD cause the motherboard is trying to use the other mode (AHIC or w/e it is). People said to fix this so that you don't get the BSOD is changing something in the registry so that the HDD won't try and boot in IDE mode anymore. This afternoon when I have time I'm gonna try doing this and hopefully it will work. If not I'm just gonna have to wait till the SSD comes in and then try installing windows to that.
A§H»WillRok

Post by A§H»WillRok »

Fortunately this worked: Just had to change a 3 to a 0 in one of the registry files

Now all I gotta do is backup my 300GB of data so that I can put a fresh install of win 7 on the 1TB drive. I would use it like it is at least until the SSD came but the OS is messed up and will only recognize 3GB (and I have 6GB so meh).
VOX

Post by VOX »

:good:

Former ASH-Clan General.