Stop Pre-Ordering Video Games

Enter your questions, tips and tricks about software, hardware, electronics, etc. Help and be helped.
A§H»BierLKW
ASH General
ASH General

Stop Pre-Ordering Video Games

Post by A§H»BierLKW »

2015 is the year that we stop preordering video games once and for all.
By, Jacob Siegal at bgr.com.

2014 had so much potential.

Watch Dogs was going to change the face of gaming as we knew it. Destiny was going to bring MMO conventions to the console in the most incredible mash-up of the generation. Assassin’s Creed Unity was going to revitalize one of the most popular franchises of the past decade.

But none of that happened.

Instead, what we got was one of the sloppiest collection of game releases in recent history. Half of the most anticipated games of the year didn’t work correctly at launch and the other half were delayed to 2015.

Plenty of digital ink has already been spilled over the dangers of preordering, but they say that repetition breeds success, so I’ll throw my hat into the ring.

If we hadn’t preordered Destiny, Bungie and Activision might not already be neck deep in the development of overpriced expansions and a full-fledged sequel due out in 2016. If we hadn’t preordered The Master Chief Collection, we would have known that the multiplayer component of the game was broken before it was sitting on our shelves collecting dust.

This year, make it a priority to avoid preordering games. Yes, you might miss out on a day one release on occasion, but who wants a broken video game on release day anyway? If Evolve launches next month and you can’t get online, it won’t matter whether or not you own it.

So when you find yourself perusing the local GameStop this year, stop and think before putting down $5 for the next big release. Why not wait and see if the game actually works before investing in a product that the developer didn’t finish?

Source Link: http://bgr.com/2015/01/12/stop-preordering-video-games/

Reddit discussion thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... _from_one/
Mandalor

Re: Stop Pre-Ordering Video Games

Post by Mandalor »

I agree with his statements about Destiny as well as the MCC.

I truly don't believe in spending 60 bucks and preording a game, that might include special additions and such. I really wouldn't pay over 25 bucks for a game these days. Interesting what he said though about how some games that are preordered, are not finished or have severe bugs, or can later rush a sequel.
-Mandalor
97 Aimbot Catches | 35 ESP Catches

Steam: The Deer Hunter | Evolve: theniteowl | Raptr: theniteowl | Origin: 90sguy
ImageImage
Resigned - 29 September, 2015
Colonel - 7 March, 2015
Saint of the Month - 3 March, 2015
Major - 10 January, 2015
Captain - 9 June, 2014
Lieutenant - 22 November, 2013
Saint of the Month - 18 July, 2013
Sergeant -12 July, 2013
Corporal - 8 June, 2013
Private - 9 May, 2013
Applicant - 9 May, 2013
A§H»Ranger

Re: Stop Pre-Ordering Video Games

Post by A§H»Ranger »

The only reason I can see for pre-ordering games is if you do youtube,
Since a few days can equal some missed opportunities in the youtube world.
But everyone else...
Pre-ordering is the devil, don't do it.
No reason not to wait a month until they fix things, unless you want to be part of the process of fixing the game, then you can pre-order and write to the dev's twitter accounts about how broken their game is.
But really, just wait and buy it later.
A§H»rUnRiÕt - "You know what confuses me about you?"
Me - "What?"
A§H»rUnRiÕt - "You're black and you play Halo... Thats a very rare thing"
Me - "I'm not black"